Friday 21 August 2015

Caramel Shard Cookies

I have to say these were the first cookies that I have baked that turned out looking like shop bought ones!

Got this recipe from John Whaite bakes as wanted to bake cakes but ran out of eggs (I know what sort of person who loves food runs out of eggs...) so flicked through and came across these.

My boyfriend for my birthday bought me a cooking thermometer which I haven't had a chance to use yet made the idea of attempting caramel even more tempting. With 100g of caster sugar and 3tbsp of water I set to work, I say work I mean mixing sugar and water and then heating on a high temperature it till it turned a lovely amber colour (watch it when it becomes light Amber as can burn quickly) before pouring it onto a baking sheet. I'm not sure I did mine right as still had sugary lumps but I didn't burn it! This made a lovely thin caramel shard, and yes I did play with a little bit of caramel making it all stringy which was very fun. 

Once that had cooled, I broke it into small pieces and added to a cookie dough (I followed the one in the book, see below, but any cookie dough would work). Had to be very careful as felt like I was mixing glass into the dough as the broken caramel can be very sharp. 
                                           
       
Recipe below 


This is the part I used to struggle with deciding how much cookie dough and where to put them on the tray! However I used my new silicon baking mat which has marking of where to place different size cookie dough and roughly how far they will spread (brilliant for macaroons too) this worked a treat and now have cookies roughly the same size and shape. Really chuffed with that product especially as I got it in the sale at Lakeland's! 

The cookies only took around 12-17minutes to bake but best to take them out before they get to dark as they can become hard and a little chewy (one batch did but my other half enjoyed them more than the softer ones) so all depends how you like your cookies.

Keep Loving Food 
Karen 


John Whaite's full recipe:
Makes 20 cookies
Ingredients
For the caramel:
• 100g caster sugar
• 3 tbsp water
For the cookie dough:
• 200g light brown muscovado sugar
• 150g salted butter, at room temperature
• 200g plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• Seeds from 1 vanilla pod, or 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
Essential equipment
1 large or 2 small baking sheets
Method
1. Place the sugar and water in a pan and stir to mix them, then place the pan over a high heat and allow to boil without stirring it again. After about 5 minutes the sugar will have turned amber in colour and the bubbles will have reduced in size. Pour on to a baking sheet and leave to solidify for at least 10 minutes.
2. To make the cookie dough, beat the sugar and butter together until paler in colour and lighter in texture. You could do this with an electric whisk or in a freestanding electric mixer. Add the remaining ingredients and mix by hand into a stiff dough. Leave in the bowl and place to one side.
3. Break the dried caramel into small shards and add to the cookie dough. Stir or knead the shards into the dough until they are well incorporated. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas 3.
5. Divide the dough into 20 and roll into little balls. Place these, spread well apart, on baking sheets. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until the cookies are baked and have turned golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before gobbling up.




No comments:

Post a Comment