Monday 24 August 2015

Vegetarian Bean Burger

Was not sure what to have for dinner decided to look through my cookbooks for something easy and that I had all the ingredients for, which is not as easy as you may think. I had no meat except bacon defrosted so I felt really limited to what was available to me. I'm impressed with how vegetarians and especially vegans can find such a range of tasty food to enjoy. I had a good range of basic ingredients in the house which meant that there is always the ability to create something.





I came across a bean burger recipe in my 'Easy Vegetarian Dishes: the Family food collection' from Love Food and thought they sounded nice and I had all the ingredients in the house! I thought I'd give give the vegetarian dish a try, not a comfort zone for me as I love my meats but was worth the try. The burgers themselves (They are also vegan!if using vegetable oil and no bun)


Serves: 2 big or 4 small burgers... (Recipe Below) 



Ingredients 
  • 1 tbsp Oil
  • 1 Shallot/Onion (Finley chopped)
  • 1 Garlic clove (crushed)
  • 1 tsp Ground cumin 
  • 1 tsp Chopped parsley 
  • 115g White mushrooms (finely chopped)
  • 420g Tin of kidney beans (drained)
  • Plain flour (for dusting)
  • Salt and pepper 
  • Burger buns, to serve


Method 

1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or just softened. Add the garlic, parsley and cumin and cook for a further minute. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a medium bowl.

2. Put the beans in a small bowl and mash with a folk. Stir in the mushroom mixture and salt and pepper.

3. Divide the mixture in half (or 4 equal portions for smaller burger). Dust lightly with flour and shape into round patties. Cook in the frying pan for about 4 minutes on each side. Serve in a bun with any extras you fancy, I had lettuces and mayonnaise.

These patties were very easy to make and tasted pretty nice too. The great thing about making your own is you know exactly what has gone into them and you can variate the recipe to taste. Next time I think I'll add a little curry powder and a less cumin. For a meal without any meat I was absolutely stuffed as they were very filling and I was very pleased with my attempt. 


Keep Loving Food
 
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment