Saturday 5 September 2015

Healthy Start to the Day

I used to be a serial breakfast skipper but one looking into weight loss and healthy eating a couple of years ago, I realised that it was a key part of my diet and a really good started my day. It really helps me keep full till lunch. Since then I have always had breakfast (unless I have a long lay in till 11-12ish then I have lunch straight away). 



Since I started having breakfast I used to loved sugar coated cereals but after finding and experimenting with granola/muesli and fruits I started having a healthier option. Calories wise my healthy breakfast always adds up more that a normal bowl of cereal, but tastes so much nicer and I get in a good portion on fruit to boot.

I have a soft spot for Dorset cereals - Simply Fruity Muesli as it is simple enough to add whatever you like to it to make it your own. I tend to buy it when it is on offer as a little expensive, or try a different one that is on offer but this is my favorite. 

I would recommend having this style of breakfast with a yoghurt rather than milk as defiantly feels more substantial. It does taste okay with milk but I feel that the yoghurt enhances the flavors more so. The brilliant thing about this type of breakfast round the summer would be the availability of homegrown fruit and wild berries. Fresh fruit is always nicer than fruit that's been around a while but I love getting fruit cheap from the reduced section knowing that I shall eat it the next morning.    

My personal favorite combination would be, 45g of simply fruity muesli, a banana chopped up, half a passion fruit mixed with 70-80g of fat free natural yoghurt, a plum diced up, a handful of blueberries and a little bit of fresh mango with a light drizzle of honey. All served with a hot cup of rooibos tea. 

The great thing is that it can be adapted to personal taste! I've tried pineapple and discovered that it didn't work for me, where as the trial run of half a passion fruit tasted fantastic. Whatever your take on breakfast there are so many different options from all around the world to make your morning exciting, from the full English to American pancakes and bacon or go down the health route with fruits and oats. But this filling, healthy option is a winner for me!

Keep Loving Food
Karen 

No comments:

Post a Comment